Friday, November 12, 2010

A day late ... On Monterey from Fresno

Can't connect. Not unglued ...yet.
We ate breakfast in the dining room and I thought I could catch up on my online but no luck. I had a connection on both iPad and iPod early in the morning, but nothing worked. Despite  my dismay, I gut I handled the situation reasonably well and resisted the temptation to spend the day troubleshooting.
By mid morning, the sun was already hot, so I changed to shorts for 17-mile Drive. It was even more beautiful than I remembered from our quick trip in 1994. Breathtaking views of the ocean, violent and full of foam as the waves crashed against the rocks. We were not alone on the road; the residents of the opulent houses in the hills above Carmel were also out this morning, along with tourists from all over the world. I snapped dozens of pictures, and I almost forgot about my unconnected status back at the hotel. Then the low battery icon showed up! Fortunately, I had already captured the thousands of sea lions, harbor seals, seabirds and little squirrels living in the rocks, but I did feel a little upset, because the afternoon had barely begun.
We drove through downtown Carmel but decided to have lunch at Fisherman's Wharf in Monterey instead. Lunch at Isabella's -- prawn cocktail and fish & chips, shared by the two of us -- was good but service was a little slow.
After lunch, there were many missed photo ops: returning fishermen harassed by gulls, pelicans and sea lions; a car show with many beautiful Corvettes; good musicians. We returned to the hotel at about 4, and I enjoyed a fantastic swim in the large pool. The water is comfortably cool and the only swimmers were a few middle schoolers. The sun was still shining and I thought happily that life really doesn't get any better.
Dinner at the hotel tonight: we had a superb meal yesterday evening and we're hoping for a god meal again tonight. The clam chowder was the best ever, as was the parmesan encrusted sea bass.
The sea noises are loud and soothing. Looking forward to another good night's sleep
     

No comments:

Post a Comment