Wednesday, November 10, 2010

California Vacation - Day 1

I hadn't been to MSP for several months and I was amazed at the number of kiosks in the airport for phone, camera, computer and other mobile device peripherals. Not so mNy years ago, I was out of luck when I forgot a battery charger or power supply. No longer. Even at 7 a.m.,most venndors were open for business. E displays were so tempting that I felt inclined to pick up an accessory for the new iPad, but I resisted, this time at least.

the flight was fine by most sat dards but I found myself wedged between Bob and a long-legged young man who must have been bothered by my constant, restless movement. However, he slept most of the trip, impeding any chance of escaping to the restroom, just to stretch my legs. to mKe matters worse, my seatbelt was twisted and I couldn't straighten it to make It more comfortable. In fact, I was only an inch or so formal requiring an extender, a long-standing fear not yet realized, and I am grateful for that. I did grunt a little, and I was reminded of the famous Seinfeld episode, in which Elaine is stuck in a crammed seat while Jerry luxuriated in First Class. We were in Row 13, close to Business Class, and I couldn't help thinking that I belonged in front of the blue curtain, enjoying morning champagne and a delicious breakfast served on real dishes vy a smiling, well groomed flight attendant. Insead, I gulped my Coke Zero and scarfed peanuts, damned happy to have them.

By the time we got to Thrifty for our car rental, we had wasted a little time because we could't find the counter at one end of the long line of vehicle rental windows. By the time we set off on Hwy 101, we were a little hungry as it was already after one, Pacific time. I was a little grumpy as we headed south, happy to stop in Gilroy (garlic capital of the world, I seem to remember) for a whopper junior at Burger King. Never has a $1.25 burgerbtasted so delicious. Made the windy trip across the hills to the ocean all the more pleasant.

By the time we arrived in Monterey, we were dead tired, not ready for the poor lady who backed into our front right fender, in the parking lot of the busy shopping center near our hotel. Bob dealt with the situation while I took pictures, and then picked up a bottle of Johnny Walker black for our room. We felt a little dejected checking in, but soon cheered up when we got settled in our oceanfront room. The waves are high, and the sunset is stunningly beautiful. I thought I got a glimpse of a couple of fishing dolphins. Looking forward to a good dinner and many photo ops tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment